Sunday, May 24, 2009

Why am I so much impressed with Mr S. L Bhyrappa?

It’s the Sunday, 24th the May, a very pleasant weather all the way through the day. I got busy without any specific reason. Went out, hunting for a site/ flat, which I am doing from a long time, with no success. But not to lose hope.
I am myself unable to understand and answer the above question. Even though I knew about SLB, it was my sister, who very recently introduced me to his books. I took the book from her, but kept it for more than a month, without turning a single page. One fine day I just started reading it, called “ Anavarana” and you don’t believe, I finished that in no time and am now reading the second one, his biography “Bitthi “.
It’s like, love at first sight. Without my knowledge, I have developed huge respect for him and for sure will read all his writings down the line. May be it’s the simplicity, facts, experience, in depth knowledge of the subject, straight forwardness, strong hold of the language, unbelievable memory – giving dates, names and figures are some of the things which makes him stand apart from the peer writers.
As I remember, “Anavarana” had at least 30 – 40 book references mentioned in its last page. Am sure he would have read and visited much more books and places to carve such a beauty. I also heard that , there was a lot of controversy when this book was released, but for sure the facts given by SLB outstood and put a full stop to all the false cry. Razia’s character, stands for a long time in the reader’s memory.
“Bitti”, his autobiography is a mind blowing piece of work. A mirror to struggling and the hard path which he has taken. Very few people can be so honest while penning down their journey. The book opens a new world for you. Gives a clear picture of the life during 1940’s and so on. Talks about the socio-economic situations, deadly diseases, transport, education system, student life, food, value for the money, people, castism, beauty of Mysore, and many more things. How can one write so openly about his cruel father ? I am not getting any writers name here. Its very easy today for us to sit on a sofa and read what he has gone through, but only the person who goes through it knows the pain. I salute him. The way he has written about the pain and the loneliness in the days after his mother passed away, makes you think, how cruel was the life, towards him. Can’t even imagine.
It’s so strange that, during 2002/03, SLB’s son Mr. Ravishankar, came down to my house in Middleborough, UK. That time, even though I knew SLB was a big time Kannada writer, I had never read any of his writings. For sure I will put 100% effort to meet SLB in Mysore, some day. Only one common factor between me and SLB is, both are Mysoreans !!!
Take away : I will try to be as simple as possible in my life. When a legend like SLB can be so simple, why can’t I ?

About SLB : ( Source : http://www.wikipedia.com/)
Santeshivara Lingannaiah Bhyrappa (born July 26, 1934), is a Kannada novelist, whose works are immensely popular both within India and abroad. Bhyrappa is widely regarded as one of India's foremost modern-day writers.His novels are unique in terms of theme, structure, and characterization.He has been among the top selling authors of Kannada, Hindi and Marathi for the past several years.Most of his works reveal the theme of Advaita vedanta and search of truth. Although S. L. Bhyrappa participated in the freedom struggle of Indian Independence at an early age, he believes that Indian Independence was just a political freedom from British rule, and the real Independence is the intellectual freedom which is nurtured by the strong foundations laid in the teachings of rich Indian culture and values.

Written Gems :
Novels
Dharmashree (1961)
Doora saridaru (1962)
Matadaana (1965)
Vamshavraksha (1965)
Jalapaata (1967)
Naayi Neralu (1968) -
Tabbaliyu neenaade magane (1968)
Gruhabhanga (1970)
Nirakarana (1971)
Grahana (1972)
Dhaatu (1973)
Anweshane (1976)
Parva(1979)
Nele (1983)
Saakshi (1986)
Anchu (1990)
Tantu (1993)
Saartha (1998)
Mandra (2001)
Bheemakaaya (2004/2005)
Aavarana (2007)

Autobiography
Bhitti

Philosophy
Satya mattu Soundarya (1966) (Doctoral thesis)
Saahitya mattu Prateeka (1967)
Kathe mattu Kathavastu (1969)
Naaneke Bareyuttene? (1980)

1 comment:

  1. Book name is "Avarana" that means hiding something and it has more than 100 references at the end..

    ReplyDelete